- This organization, known as Central East Retired Teachers’ Association (CERTA) is a branch of the Alberta Retired Teachers’ Association (ARTA).
- To encourage retired teachers to take an active interest in the affairs of the Central East Retired Teachers’ Association and the Alberta Retired Teachers’ Association.
- To help our members keep informed about proposed changes that will likely affect them.
- To maintain liaison with other groups interested in retired persons and their needs.
- To give an organizational voice about our concerns to other organizations and to government bodies.
- To provide opportunities for fellowship and group activities for our members.
Membership, Voting, Non-Voting
- Voting Members
- CERTA accepts as a member, with voting power, any retired teacher, who is receiving a pension from ATRF (Alberta Teacher’s Retirement Fund.
- CERTA will accept into full membership any teacher fifty-five (55) years or over, who will not receive an ATRF pension, but who can provide proof in writing of having made pension contributions to ATRF for five (5) or more years.
- CERTA will accept into full membership any retired pre-pensionable aged teacher who has taught and contributed to the ATRF for five (5) or more years and who will receive an ATRF pension at age fifty-five (55) or older. Proof of contributions to the ATRF must be provided in writing.
- Associate Membership
- CERTA accepts the following as associate members with voting privileges for issues of local concern
- the spouse of any retired teacher,
- the widow or widower of any retired teacher,
- a retired teacher from another province, or from another educational institution.
- Affiliate Members
- CERTA accepts Affiliate members as designated by ARTA Educational and Government Public sectors.
- CERTA may, at its discretion, accept into membership the spouse of affiliate
- An affiliate member may not vote or hold office.
- Life Membership
- A free membership shall be granted to any full member of CERTA at the age of eighty-five (85).
- Honorary Membership
- CERTA, may at its discretion, grant an honorary life membership.
- Membership is contingent upon the payment of the annual fee.
- The Executive Officers of the Association shall be:
- 2 Branch/ARTA Representatives
- Members-at-large as determined by the executive
- The executive shall be elected at the annual meeting in June for a one-year term.
- The executive shall take office immediately after the close of the AGM at which they are elected or if appointed, immediately upon appointment.
- An executive officer may resign from the Executive at any time by giving notice in writing to the Secretary.
- The president may not normally be elected to the Executive for more than three (3) consecutive terms.
- If the office of the President falls vacant, the Vice president shall be appointed to complete the unexpired term.
- The executive may fill any other vacancies as deemed advisable.
- Nominating Procedure
- A nominating committee, chaired by the past-president, shall be named by the past president in consultation with the executive to prepare a slate of officers.
- Additional nominations shall be made from the floor.
Liaison with ARTA
- It shall be the responsibility of the executive to name a slate of delegates to attend the AGM of the Alberta Retired Teachers’ Association.
- Committees or other executive officers shall be named by the
executive when found to be necessary.
- The President shall be an ex-officio member of all committees.
- The quorum for a committee shall be the majority of its members.
- The president shall be responsible for calling an annual general meeting in June and 3 other regular or special meetings.
- The quorum for all general meetings of the association shall consist of any two (2) executive officers plus eight (8) other voting members.
- An emergent general meeting may be called by the President.
- On the written request of one-third or more of the membership and emergent general meeting will be called within one (1) week by the President, following the usual notification process. The request must include the agenda.
- The fiscal year shall be May 30 – April 30 to allow for the audited statement for the June AGM.
- The accounts of the Association shall be audited as directed by the executive, subject to approval at the AGM.
- Signing authority will require two (2) signatures as designated by the executive.
- All incurred reasonable expenses will be remunerated by the Association on approval of the general assembly.
- Membership is contingent upon payment of the annual fee.
- Fees are due on July 1st of the year after the current membership has expired.
- A complimentary membership of one year, commencing on the year of retirement, is granted to all new retirees who have registered with CERTA.
- Neither honorary nor life members are required to pay an annual membership fee.
- Membership fees shall be determined from time to time by the general membership on recommendation by the executive.
- CERTA Bylaws will be consistent with ARTA policies and procedures as outlined in their By-laws and Policies and Procedures. In the event of any questions, ARTA provisions will prevail.