Who is STARTA?
STARTA, also known as the St. Albert and Area Retired Teachers’ Association, is a social organization and network providing opportunities for retired educators to meet, mingle, converse, and keep communication lines open with colleagues and with our provincial counterparts who advocate for us.
STARTA provides a variety of social opportunities for retired educators to meet, visit, and enjoy presentations and activities together. Timely topics of presentations change from year to year and may include talks on book and travel, astronomy, personal health and wellness, scams, or entertainment by a comedian or musical groups including the STARTA choir.
STARTA is a self-governed branch of the Alberta Retired Teachers’ Association (ARTA) and shares many of its goals. STARTA specifically serves retired employees of all school boards and educational institutions in St. Albert, Sturgeon County, Barrhead, Westlock and surrounding areas. All educators residing in the greater St. Albert area who have contributed to the Alberta Teachers’ Retirement Fund, retired teachers and their spouses, retired instructors of other educational institutions, and retired employees (support staff) of school boards, universities, colleges, and technical institutions, are eligible to belong to STARTA. Members are encouraged to invite fellow colleagues who have retired to join us as their guest at any STARTA events.
Welcome to the website of the St. Albert and Area Retired Teachers’ Association (STARTA). As Co-Presidents, Mary O’Neil and Wendy Poirier invite you to join this organization. STARTA is one of seventeen branches in Alberta associated with the Alberta Retired Teachers’ Association (ARTA), an organization which informs its retirees of activities and other information through its branches.
- To promote good fellowship among retired educators
- To encourage the participation of new retirees
- To maintain contact with all members
- To assists in protecting the welfare of retired educators
- To maintain liaison with ARTA and encourage members to support the activities and inivitatives of ARTA
- To maintain STARTA as a highly regarded organization in our community
- STARTA membership is free to retiring educators in the first year of their retirement.
- Annual membership fee is $10 (Membership is contingent upon the payment of the annual fee).
- Voting membership: STARTA will accept into membership, with full voting power, any person in receipt of a pension from ATRF.
- Associate membership: STARTA will accept into associate membership the spouse of a member, retired teachers from other educational institutions in Alberta, retired teachers in receipt of a pension from other provinces, and other persons as approved by the Executive.
NOTE: Associate members do not have the right to vote or hold the office of President or Vice President.